How Often Should I See My Doctor for Follow-Up Care After Rhomboid Muscle Pain?

If you've been diagnosed with or treated for rhomboid muscle pain, it's important to follow up with your doctor for ongoing care. A rhomboid strain is a stretching or tearing of the muscles that connect the inner edges of the shoulder blades to the spine. A rhomboid spasm is a sudden contraction of the muscle that you can't control. To help with recovery, your doctor may recommend physical therapy and exercises to regain strength and movement in the affected muscles.

You can also use a foam roller at home to gently massage and remove any knots in your muscles. If the discomfort caused by a rhomboid muscle injury doesn't go away, make an appointment with your family doctor or an orthopedic specialist. Surgery and other treatments may be necessary for more serious injuries. Strengthening the muscles that are responsible for the optimal placement of the shoulder blade is vital for treating rhomboid muscle pain.

You may have some active trigger points in some of the muscles that cause pain to descend down your arm. If you have shoulder or upper back pain that doesn't seem to improve, see your healthcare provider or physical therapist. Extended periods of not moving can put a lot of pressure on your postural muscles, so it's important to stay active and exercise regularly. If it's only due to tension in the upper trap muscle, you just need to stretch away from the side where your head tilts.

If the pain is due to muscle exercise, you may want to wait a couple of days for it to recover and then hit it again with a strong intensity. If you're over 60 years old, it's important to be aware of how much strain you're putting on your body when exercising or engaging in outdoor activities. It's also important to be aware of any changes in your body that could indicate an injury or strain. If you experience any pain or discomfort, make sure to see your doctor right away for follow-up care.